Thursday, November 8

We're off to Tim Hortons!


It has been a lifetime since I last wrote on this blog. Writing is so hard sometimes, but today I feel as if I can write volumes! I have just come home from teaching a class of four students - one from Taiwan and three from Korea. I only have two more weeks of this three hour morning class before my schedule changes, so I'm savoring every moment. The students are all new to Canada, much like me, and they are at the foot of their very steep learning curve of mastering English. I am astounded at the speed at which they grasp things that I taught often in Taiwan with great difficulty. Context is everything when it comes to language acquisition. When they leave they greet me with an upbeat, " See ya!" which is a rather new phrase to my ears but is definitely the Canadian greeting they hear most.

This Friday we will go on a field trip to Tim Hortons. It's the most Canadian thing to do in town - buy a coffee and a donut at "Tim's". It's named after an ice hockey player Tim Horton that played his first National Hockey League game in 1950 and continued playing up until 1974 when he died in a car accident. He opened the first Tim Horton Donut Shop in 1964 and a police constable from the same town, Ron Joyce, added the entrepreneurial savvy to the business that lead to a total of forty shops at Horton's death. Today there are over 3000 stores in Canada and the US. They even opened a Tim Hortons in a 40 foot trailer on the military base of the Candian Forces in Afghanistan in 2006! Steven, a Taiwanese boy in my class is a great fan of donuts and I'm looking forward to seeing his face when he gets to choose one of the myriad donut options on Friday morning. With the wet and damp fall weather we're experiencing I can't think of a better way to celebrate Friday!

2 comments:

Kat said...

Rock on at Tim's!

Is James a lawyer yet?

see ya

Anonymous said...

Hi, Liezl,

Good to see you on your blog. Just want to drop you a line and say Merry Christmas to you and James!

Grace